Social Media

A student accused of rape has received an apology from police and prosecutors after a review into his collapsed trial found that messages undermining the case against him had been missed. The problems with disclosure of evidence were caused by "a combination of error, lack of challenge, and lack of…
The Director of Public Prosecutions has been criticised for suggesting people who believe they have been raped but stay silent during their ordeal may give the impression they have consented to sex. Alison Saunders said prosecutors considering rape cases must look at whether the suspect had a reasonable belief in…
A third rape case in just over a month has collapsed after a failure from investigators to find key evidence. The case against Samson Makele was halted at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Monday after his defence team unearthed key images from his mobile phone which had not previously been made…
A woman who was abused and raped as a child is not capable of caring for her toddler daughter, a family court judge has ruled. Judge Jessica Pemberton said the woman, now in her early 20s, had not been given the "foundation" to enable her to look after a child.…
The investigation of rape and sexual offences are "in a mess", a former top police officer has warned. Ex-Metropolitan Police commissioner Lord Blair of Boughton made his stark assessment as peers debated the controversy around the decison to release "black cab rapist" John Worboys. In the wake of the outcry,…
The chairman of the Parole Board has apologised "unreservedly" over the failure to inform the victims of serial rapist John Worboys of his imminent release. Professor Nick Hardwick said he fully accepts there was a problem with the parole system, and that it was believed the victims had been informed…
A former attorney general has called for an independent inquiry into the system for disclosure of evidence in criminal cases, after the high-profile collapses of two rape prosecutions. Scotland Yard last month launched an urgent review of around 30 sex cases about to go to court, after the rape trial…
London cabbie rapist John Worboys is to be released from prison. The former stripper and adult film star was jailed indefinitely in 2009, with a minimum term of eight years for drugging and sexually assaulting women passengers. He was found guilty of assaulting 12 women during an 18-month reign of…
The Metropolitan Police has removed from active duty the detective in charge of two collapsed rape trials that prompted Scotland Yard to urgently review around 30 sex cases due to go to trial. Further cases at an earlier stage in the justice process will also be examined, as the force…
Scotland's prosecution service is looking for victims of sexual crimes to give feedback on their experience of the judiciary, in an effort to improve the system. It comes after Rape Crisis Scotland said findings of an Inspectorate of Prosecution in Scotland report were unacceptable, highlighting one survivor who described the…
Scotland Yard has launched a major review of its sex crime investigations after the collapse of two rape cases in a week. The force has announced every live case, where the Metropolitan Police is in discussion with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), will be examined. It came after a second…
Anti-rape apps create a "climate of fear" where responsibility for gathering evidence of a sexual assault is pushed on to victims, according to a new study. Researchers at Glasgow Caledonian University and Trent University, Canada, found personal smartphone technologies place the emphasis on women to take "routine" daily measures to…
Page 10 of 17